Puente del Arzobispo is a town located in the province of Toledo, in central Spain. The town was founded in the 14th century by Pedro Tenorio, archbishop of Toledo. The ceramics of El Puente del Arzobispo reached its greatest splendor in the 17th and 18th centuries, as did the other great ceramic centers in the province, Talavera de la Reina and the city of Toledo itself. And it continues in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries being an important production center to this day at the beginning of the twenty-first century.
At the end of the 18th century thirteen pottery was mentioned, and in 1890 there was news of a fine china factory and three of coarse. In 1967 thirteen of fine and eight of coarse pottery without glaze were registered. At present it continues to be a pottery center with high productivity.
The ceramics of Puente del Arzobispo have a common identity stamp with the other two nearby areas, which causes the productions of the three Toledan centers to be frequently confused. Some differentiating keys have been studied between Puenteña ceramics and the other two production centers in this province of Toledo, a very important area for Spanish ceramics.
In Puente del Arzobispo there is a predominance of emerald green over the others, both in the polychromes and in the simplest work. The glaze is less white, and has a transparency that allows one to perceive the creamy tone of its clays. There is also a persistence in the production of old Talavera themes, such as hunting motifs and a certain baroque landscape, as well as the stylization of Italian-inspired polychrome products, also treated with a preponderance of emerald tones.
Comments will be approved before showing up.